B-SAFE (Blue Signs Are For Emergencies) Dock Numbering Program
Working with first responders from the four towns surrounding the lake, as well as the New Jersey State Police, lakefront properties were assigned a unique dock number, or “lake address,” which is linked to the 9-1-1 street address. Lakefront property owners may voluntarily purchase and post a B-SAFE sign with their dock number, where it can be easily seen from the water. If an emergency occurs, an accurate location can be reported using the nearest dock number as a reference point. The signs are designed to help emergency personnel efficiently respond by land or water.
The attractive, weatherproof aluminum signs measure 8” x 16” and are blue with white reflective numbers. The signs do not contain any personal information. Simply mount your sign using the pre-drilled holes to your dock, boathouse, post or tree. Signs can be purchased for $27 a piece which covers both the cost of printing the sign as well as shipping and handling. Our last order for 2018 will be placed on October 15 to ensure delivery in time for installation during the five-year 60-inch drawdown.
** Please note that B-SAFE dock number signs are ordered in batches in order to keep the cost down and it may be several months before your sign is produced and mailed to you.
How the Program Works:
- If an emergency occurs on the water, ice or land CALL 9-1-1
- Locate the nearest dock sign and provide the number to the 9-1-1 operator
- Emergency resources will be sent to your location
- Landowners can report a water emergency and the 9-1-1 operator will be able to translate the street address to a water location
- Your posted number will provide an easy way for friends to locate your dock