B-SAFE (Blue Signs Are For Emergencies) Dock Numbering Program
Thank you for your interest and support in the program.
Dock Numbering Program Background
We worked in partnership with first responders from the four towns surrounding the lake as well as the New Jersey State Police to develop a plan to improve emergency response times and safety on Lake Hopatcong. All lakefront properties have been assigned a unique dock number or “lake address”, which is linked to the 9-1-1 street address. Lakefront property owners can voluntarily post a sign with their dock number where it can be easily seen from the water. If an emergency occurs, an accurate location can be reported using the nearest dock number as a reference point. Emergency personnel can then rapidly and effectively respond by land or water.
The attractive, weatherproof aluminum signs measure 8” x 16” and are blue with white reflective numbers. The signs do not contain any personal information. Simply mount your sign using the pre-drilled holes and supplied rust-free screws to your dock, boathouse, post or tree. We will resume taking orders for dock numbers again in the Spring.
How the Program Works:
- If an emergency occurs on the water, ice or land CALL 9-1-1
- Locate the nearest dock sign and provide the number to the 9-1-1 operator
- Emergency resources will be sent to your location
- Landowners can report a water emergency and the 9-1-1 operator will be able to translate the street address to a water location
- Your posted number will provide an easy way for friends to locate your dock